1. Flaxseed (try this first! It is the best all around cure for constipation)
- Adding ground flaxseed to your diet is a great way to increase fiber intake and keep you regular. It’s also a great source of Omega 3 fats. You can find it at health food stores with the label Bob’s Red Mill - Golden Flaxseed Meal. Look for a yellow bag in the refrigerated section.
- The golden flaxseed has a milder flavor than the regular (brown) flaxseed.
- Use 1- 4 Tbs. ground flaxseed per day (every day!) to keep bowel regular. Start with 1Tbs. and increase to 4Tbs. or more, as needed. If you start with a large amount all at once, you may experience bloating and gas, but starting slowly will usually prevent this unpleasantness.
- Stir the ground flaxseed it into oatmeal, cereal, soup, yogurt, smoothies, or any food that will allow.
- Add it to your food just before eating. If you cook a liquid food with the flaxseed added (such as adding to soup as you cook) it will turn gummy and thick. If you add it just before eating it’s barely noticed and should not alter your enjoyment of the dish, provided you don’t add too much. Adding ground flaxseed into scrambled eggs as you cook them works, too.
- Do not purchase ground flaxseed unless it is located in the refrigerated section of the store. Once flaxseed is ground, it becomes rancid quickly. Rancid flaxseed has a bad smell and taste (like linseed oil), and rancidity renders the Omega fats useless, if not harmful to your body.
- To save money, you may purchase whole flaxseed, which has a long shelf life, even if not chilled. A coffee grinder may be used to grind the seeds in small batches as needed.
- Store ground flaxseed in the freezer or refrigerator to prevent it from going rancid quickly.
- Drink plenty of fluids (preferably water) if you are consuming increased fiber, such as flaxseed.
2. Look at your vitamin label. Iron constipates. Also, realize most calcium supplements are calcium carbonate, which constipates. Calcium citrate does not. (Citracal or generic calcium citrate).
3. Drink lots of water. Six to eight 8 oz. glasses per day.
4. Eat prunes. Really, it works!
5. Milk of Magnesia - 2 Tbs. every 8 hours until results.
6. Colace pills - (non-prescription) 2 times a day. (Contrary to popular lore, you cannot become "addicted" to them.)